Jan O’Hara GSCC Registered Social Worker And an experienced strategic and operational management consultant in social services and health.
Jan is an experienced strategic and operational management consultant specialising in social services and health with cross agency experience including higher education, housing, ICT and the private and voluntary sector.
A GSCC registered social worker and MBA graduate, well versed in the current national and local agendas for social care and health. She has a structured approach to consultancy looking at ‘where you are now’, ‘where you want to be’ and ‘how to get there’.
She has exceptional skills including a wide range of problem-solving techniques, rigorous analytical skills providing successful change management with exceptional communication skills enabling understanding between different professional groups and agencies in social care, health and education.
She offers a unique approach ©SMARTWorking to improving performance while reducing costs in relation to staffing and office space.
Key skills in delivery include:
- Facilitation of focus groups
- Construction and delivery of questionnaires
- Designing training programmes using a range of learning styles and practical learning materials
- Clearly delivered presentations
- Well structured reports with practical and achievable next steps
- Application of enterprise principles
- Designing qualitative and quantitative research tools
Leadership & Management
Using an approach which aligns the vision for the service with service delivery, patient/customer pathways and the skills of managers:
- Developed and implementing a leadership and management development programme to secure an interprofessional working approach by the management team of a multi-professional service for adults with learning disabilities
- Provided a 2 year work programme with measurable objectives, support tools and policy documents for a new management system for administration services in a London borough Adult and Community Services Department. Adopted for corporate approach
- ‘New Ways of Working for Psychiatrists’ workshop introducing organisational and change management skills to psychiatrists in senior management roles as part of a nationally delivered leadership and management programme
Service and Performance Reviews
Undertaking thorough research and wide consultation regarding purpose and needs:
- Reviewed the training and development service for a London Children’s Services Department providing a blueprint for integrating the service
- Reviewed BME access to services and consistency of serviced delivery in a Social Services Department
- Reviewed the accommodation needs for a London Social Services Department. Strategy adopted as a long term approach
Introduced change using project management techniques to keep to specification and inclusivity to achieve maximum buy-in for participants of the process:
- Created and delivered the ©SMART-Working solutions to performance management and business process development, flexible working and asset management. Initial pilot sponsored by the DTi for Social Services Department completed and adopted as a corporate approach. Currently implementing in a fourth service.
- Designed and delivered a Personal Development Plan system across the general practices of a Primary Care Trust
Using negotiation skills sought to develop trust in other participants and a sense of mutual benefit to:
- Explore the potential to set up an academic health and social sciences network on behalf of SW London NHS Trusts Consultation conducted at a strategic level with directors in local authorities and universities.
- ‘Working with Multiple Agencies’ a half day facilitation workshop to initiate strategic plan development. Delivered nationally to health, social care and voluntary sector participants at senior and board level
Setting up professional networks
Developing structures which are robust yet accommodate organisational differences:
- Set up the Skills for Care London Learning Resource Network (LRN)
- Introduced and delivered the new Social Work Post Qualifying Framework for London
- As advisory Consultant to a London NHS Workforce Development Confederation made recommendations on strategic development for joint initiatives which were undertaken
Applying rigorous analytical skills to robustly collected data:
- Undertook the Quality Evaluation of Practice Learning Opportunities for social work across London – report used to inform national developments
- Investigated the small business model for delivery of domiciliary and intermediate care in West London for MBA research programme. Analysis linked service quality to financial patterns, partnership development and future implications of the value added delivery model being replaced by the commodity market approach
- Mapped and researched the learning needs of social work practice teachers for the SE London Multi Agency Learning Space project. Recommendations adopted
- Mapped the archive needs for a London Housing and Community Services Department. The research results were used to inform a new system and the guidance documents adopted across the council
O’Hara, J & Popple, K: ‘A solution to our practice placement crisis’ Community Care, Issue 1691, Sept 07
O’Hara, J et al: Implementing PDP into General Practice, Education for Primary Care. May, 2003
Paper published: O’Hara, J et al: PDP Useful Tool or Bureaucratic Junk? Update for General Practice Vol. 2002
Summary of Previous Roles
Independent Consultant - 2009-present
Consultancy projects to clients including London Boroughs of Wandsworth and Hounslow , Children First Lewisham, Nursing and Midwifery Council.
Director Antel Consulting Ltd - 1998-2009
Consultancy projects for a series of clients including SE London Workforce Development Confederation, Queen Mary’s Hospital Trust, Shrewsbury Hospitals Trust, C21 Fox, AstraZeneca, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Medical & Scientific, London Boroughs of Wandsworth, Hounslow, Tower Hamlets, Greenwich, Southwark, Hammersmith & Fulham, Skills for Care London.
Independent Counsellor – 1992-1995
To ex-patriots based in Dubai.
Hounslow Social Services
Team Manager - 1990-1992
Managed a multi-disciplinary community team for people with physical disabilities.
Social Worker Essex/Kingston Social Services – 1981-1990
Experience in community, hospital and residential work in Children & Families, Physical Disabilities and Older People’s Teams, working with complex cases.
Management Trainee Midland Bank plc 1980-1981
Developed sound grounding in business process and financial management.